Friday, July 18, 2008

Should you change your fixed price listings to "pseudo" auctions?



I was recently looking to make a purchase on eBay and noticed the "Auctions Ending Soon" featured on my search results.(see the picture above with the horizontal results for auctions) It dawned on me that listing items in a fixed price format doesn't make sense any more. The reason being is that buyers are now being pushed to auctions in the search results and you want your listings to get that visibility.

Consequently, you can list your items in a "pseudo" auction format. For instance, you can list your camera for a start price of $300 and a Buy it now price of $300 as well. This will get you more visibility for you listing because when the "auction" is ending you will get placement at the top of the search results and be featured.



Please check back frequently or subscribe to my blog as I will have more posts to come on eBay selling strategies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you do realize that there's an additional fee for BIN, proportionate to the BIN price? Makes it MORE expensive, and ebay makes more money. Whose side are you on?

Ebay Observer said...

Yes, there is an additional fee for a BIN price but it is negligible for the most part. The fee ranges from 5 cents to 25 cents depending on the price of your item. If you are selling very low priced items, items under $5, then maybe it wouldn't make sense to change the strategy. However, for most sellers selling items that are more expensive the increased exposure should more than pay off in higher ASPs and an increased inventory turn. Anyway, for most sellers I think that the marginal benefits will outweigh the marginal costs of the increased fees.

Belindalang said...

I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well.

Excellent post.I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work.


ebay tickets selling